A 10k race? With gladiators? And obstacles? Hell yes, was my response. Get me there now.
Which is how a group of 5 over-excited intrepid Gauntlet Girls came to be in Trent Park, North London early on a Saturday morning.
This isn’t going to be a regular race report because quite frankly it wasn’t a regular race. For a start there was no timing at all which meant that everyone could take it at their own sweet pace. Oh and there were also lots of things and people to slow you down on course.
We’d opted for the 10k version which meant that we did 3km of obstacles before turning off for a 5km trail run and joining back up with the course for a last 2km of obstacles, although it felt shorter than a full 10k. I’m going to let the pictures do most of the talking but here is a summary of my feelings about the race:
– long queues to pick up race numbers & race t-shirts suck
– half-naked men are great until they’re pelting balls at your legs
– laughing until my stomach hurts is great
– trail running is way more interesting than road running
– water mixed with poster paint is really slimy and then really sticky
– water is cold. Like, really cold
– wet trainers are gross to run for an hour in
– a wet lycra-clad bottom results in a very satisfying noise when slapped
– races with friends are infinitely more fun
– I WANT TO DO IT AGAIN
Getting friendly with the gladiators:
Never trust an Aussie and a PT armed with sticks:
Water is cold part I:
Water is cold part II:
Foam gets in your ears:
Apparently my go-to obstacle race face is this:
Charlie’s Angels eat your hearts out:
Never forget to stretch:
In summary, we heart The Gauntlet Games.