Although London seems to be basking in very late Indian Summer, my mind is starting to zoom ahead to some winter warmers that will be perfect for cold nights.
My favourite quick and easy go to dinner is soup. You can tweak the recipes each time, throw in whatever you have in the fridge and make it in huge portions which will fill your freezer.
Basic soup base:
1 x white or red onion (finely chopped)
2 x cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
2 x sticks of celery (chopped)
1 x carrot (chopped)
Sautee all of the above in 1 tbsp of olive or coconut oil and then add in 1 litre of vegetable or chicken stock, bring to the boil and then simmer for 15-20 minutes. This makes a delicious and light broth that you can customise in thousands of different ways. Here are some of my top picks…
Carrot and coriander
– Basic soup base including a thumb size piece of ginger + a whole bag of carrots (chopped) + a large bunch of coriander
– Simmer with plenty of black pepper and half a can of coconut milk
– Blend until nearly smoothish, I like a few chunks in it!
– Basic soup base + 1 can of chopped tomatoes + 1 tsp agave nectar + 2 tbsp tomato puree
– Simmer and blend if you want it smooth
– Serve with a swirl of homemade pesto or a dollop of greek yogurt
– Basic soup base (minus the carrot) + 1 chopped courgette + 1 bag of spinach/watercress/kale + small handful of chopped mint + 2 handfuls of peas
– Simmer until everything is cooked through and blend until smooth
I’m going to do a series of these quick and easy Winter Warmer recipes, are there any that you’d like to see on here?